Render is a platform as a service company that makes it easy to quickly deploy small apps. They have an easy-to-use free tier and I wanted run a Python app with dependencies managed by Poetry. Things had been going pretty well until I unexpectedly got the following error after a deploy Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding Python runtime state: core initialized ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings' You don’t have to search for too long to find out this isn’t good.
In Javascript, using async/await is a cleaner approach compared to use of callbacks. Occasionally, you run into useful but older modules that you’d like to use in the more modern way. Take fluent-ffmpeg, a 10 year old package that uses callbacks to handle various events like start, progress, end and error. Using callbacks, we have code that looks like this: const ffmpeg = require('fluent-ffmpeg'); function convertVideo(inputPath, outputPath, callback) { ffmpeg(inputPath) .
When deploying software with Kubernetes, you need to expose a liveness HTTP request in the application. The Kubernetes default liveness HTTP endpoint is /healthz, which seems to be a Google convention, z-pages. A lot of Kubernetes deployments won’t rely on the defaults. Here is an example Kubernetes pod configuration for a liveness check at <ip>:8080/health: apiVersion: v1 kind: Pod metadata: name: liveness-http spec: containers: - name: liveness image: k8s.gcr.io/liveness args: - /server livenessProbe: httpGet: path: "/health" port: 8080 initialDelaySeconds: 3 periodSeconds: 3 When setting up a new app to be deployed on Kubernetes, ideally, the liveness endpoint is defined in a service scaffold (this is company and framework dependent), but in the case it isn’t, you just need to add a simple HTTP handler for the route configured in the yaml file.
Given the following make target .PHONY: my_target my_target: @python scripts/my_script.py $(arg) one can the argument with an argument in the following manner make my_target arg=my_arg I used this approach to run a python script to create the file for this post make til p=make/pass-arg-to-target for the following make target .PHONY: til til: @python scripts/til.py $(p) It’s also possible to prepend the variable p=make/pass-arg-to-target make til
I learned about skhd recently, actually after coming across the yabai project. I’ve been toying with the idea of moving away from Hammerspoon for my hotkey and window management, so I took the opportunity to explore skhd as a possible alternative. Initial setup To get started on macOS, I followed the guide in the project README. First, I installed skhd via brew. brew install koekeishiya/formulae/skhd The instructions say to start the service immediately with
I used open-interpreter to read an epub file and create a DIY audio book. Open-interpreter suggested that I use the bs4 and ebooklib libraries. It recommended an API to create audio files from text, but I was easily able to switch this out for the free and local alternative, say on macOS. As I worked (let the model write code), it was easier to copy the code to a separate file and make modifications.
There is a website I log into often that I protect with 2FA. One thing that bothers me about this process is that the 2FA screen does not immediately focus to the input, so I can immediately start entering my 2FA code. Today, I tackled that problem. The most recent experience I’ve had writing userscripts was with a closed source browser extension. A few minutes of search and I discovered Violentmonkey, an open source option with no tracking software.
I usually use tail -n +2 to get all the first line of a file but today I learned you can also accomplish the same task with sed '1d' Both also work for removing more than just the first line of an input. To remove the first three lines sed '1,3d' is equivalent to tail -n +4 It seems like tail is recommended for larger files though, since it doesn’t process the entire file.
To write software is to experience constant failure until you get a success. When you start learning to write code, very little works, especially on your first try. You make a lot of mistakes. Maybe you copied example code to get started, then modify it to try and do something new. Reading errors to help you understand your mistakes is the only way forward. You can read documentation, search the web or chat with a language model to try and work through the problem, but it is inevitable that you will make mistakes when writing software.
A spot where I slipped up in trying to adopt Temporal in an existing Python project and then again in starting a new Python project was in defining a Workflow that invokes an Activity that calls a third party library. Temporal outputs an error message with a long stacktrace that I vaguely understood but didn’t immediately know the solution to ... raise RestrictedWorkflowAccessError(f"{self.name}.{name}") temporalio.worker.workflow_sandbox._restrictions.RestrictedWorkflowAccessError: Cannot access http.server.BaseHTTPRequestHandler.responses from inside a workflow.